Green chemistry: AFYREN and Bpifrance, via its SPI industrial projects fund, are jointly investing 50 million euros in the industrial joint-venture AFYREN NEOXY

First industrial subsidiary of AFYREN, AFYREN NEOXY will be focused on producing, using co-products from the sugar industry, 100-pc bio-sourced organic acids that can be used in multiple applications, from cosmetics to flavors and fragrances, human and animal nutrition, and even fine chemicals.

The new plant will be based on the CHEMESIS platform in Carling-St Avold, in Moselle, on a 3-hectare site. It  will notably benefit from industrial synergies with the platform’s major operators, among which Total Petrochemicals France.

Based on co-products from the sugar industry, this unit will produce a range of seven organic acids (Acetic, Propionic, Butyric, Isobutyric, Valeric, Isovaleric and Caproic) with an initial annual capacity of 16,000 tons. This project is expected to generate 60 new direct jobs by 2021.

The SPI fund will invest 23 million euros for a 49% stake in AFYREN NEOXY, with AFYREN holding the remaining 51% of its capital.

It is receiving financial support from, among others,Total Développement Régional, the Grand-Est region and the Saint-Avold Synergie metropolitan area.


Biopôle Clermont-Limagne
Contact : Jeremy Pessiot |
Phone: +33 (0) 473 869 184